Musicians aged 16-21! Escape reality and join Manchester post-punk trio PINS for a week of collaboration, creative experimentation and music industry insights.
Aimed at young musicians from Greater Manchester, Cheshire and Merseyside who are working towards a music career, this free 5-day residency is an opportunity to develop your creative and collaboration skills and learn more about the music industry.
“Make some music together, have some fun together… we want you to express yourselves!”
Faith Vern, PINS singer and guitarist
- Spend 5 days working with PINS and learn about their artistic process – from initial idea to onstage transformation
- Collaborate with like-minded musicians to write an EP of new songs
- Record your EP at Edwin Street Recording Studio
- Perform live with PINS at award-winning live music venue The Met in Bury
- Take part in a photoshoot and learn about press shots and artist image with Debbie Ellis
You’ll also learn about:
- Artist management and setting up your own record label with PINS manager Elisa Aimi
- Music publishing and songwriting for sync with Anastasia Pegi (Ninja Tune/Just Isn’t Music)
- Mental health and wellbeing support for musicians with Rachel Jepson (founder of Counselling for Musicians)
Who it’s for
To apply you should be:
- Aged 16-21
- Based in Greater Manchester, Cheshire or Merseyside
- Available for all sessions (dates and times below)
- This project will take place in-person at The Met in Bury from Mon 26-Fri 30 Jul (10am-4pm)
- The live performance will take place on the evening of Fri 30 Jul
- Travel bursaries are available to help you get to and from the project – please tell us in your application if you would find this useful
- As this project is taking place in-person, we will be adhering to COVID-19 government guidance. This may be subject to change
- The residency will be led by PINS singer/guitarist Faith Vern, bassist Kyoko Swan and drummer Abbi Phillips
How to apply
If you’re interested in taking part, please tell us a bit about you and your music by completing the form below*. You can apply in writing, or by submitting a video or audio file.
As there are a limited number of places available, once you’ve filled in the form and the deadline has passed we’ll be in touch to confirm your place.
Deadline: Sun 27 Jun, 11pm
*If you have any specific access needs relating to the application process or if there’s anything we can do to help you apply, please let us know. You can contact us by calling 0161 546 5334 (leave a message and we’ll get back to you) or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
To find out more please check out our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
If you have any questions that aren’t covered in the FAQs please contact Lucy Wallace at email@example.com
PINS are singer/guitarist Faith Vern, guitarist Lois MacDonald and bassist Kyoko Swan. Since the release of Girls Like Us in 2013, PINS have exuded strength in their danceable alternative post-punk transmissions and earned the trust, endorsement, and creative blessings of rock royalty such as Iggy Pop and peers including Jamie Hince of The Kills.
A Week With PINS is supported by The Met, Youth Music as part of the Alliance for a Musically Inclusive England which is made possible by funding from the National Lottery via Arts Council England, Manchester City Council and GMCA.