Manchester Music City and British Council are looking for dynamic music professionals working within their local music scene to create, connect and collaborate with international partners at WOMEX 2021.
Aimed at strengthening and building new international partnerships between Manchester and the rest of the world, bursaries of up to £1500 are available to 8 participants from Manchester or Greater Manchester, and 8 international participants from Official Development Assistance (ODA) recipient countries.
The bursary will cover:
- A contribution to travel, accommodation and entry to WOMEX 2021 in Porto, Portugal between 27-31 October 2021*
- Participation in a range of digital networking events and activities around WOMEX to develop shared initiatives and build understanding of the respective music scenes. They will also include research, insight and cultural context of the ODA regions involved, and of the diverse music scene in Manchester
*Due to COVID-19, travel restrictions may apply. We will keep you informed if and when guidance changes.
Who can apply
- People or organisations based in Manchester, Greater Manchester or an ODA country
- People who are connected into their local music scene – this could be musicians, curators, creative producers, promoters, festival organisers, programmers, music collectives, or those involved in the strategic development of the local music scene and industries
- People who are active and keen to make new connections and collaborate with other like-minded organisations and individuals
We particularly encourage applications from Black, South Asian and ethnically diverse people, people with lived experience of disability and people from the LGBTQIA+ community.
If you have existing connections with a partner in Manchester or an ODA country, there is an option to nominate them in your application.
How to apply
Please complete a short form telling us a bit about you and why you are interested in taking part by completing the form below.* If you prefer you can send us a video or audio file.
Deadline to apply: Tue 29 Jun, 5pm (BST)
*If you have any specific access needs relating to the application process or if there’s anything we can do to help you apply, please let us know. You can contact us by calling 0161 546 5334 (leave a message and we will get back to you) or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information, please contact Tim Chatterton at email@example.com
About Manchester Music City
Manchester has recently formally adopted its position and profile as an international Music City via its membership of the international Music Cities Network. Manchester positions itself as a diverse and exciting city for music in the UK and the world. As a city Manchester is also committed to the resetting and rebalancing of our music landscape and will take action to ensure that Manchester represents and supports the growth of an equal and fair music sector. The initiative has been supported by a leadership group of stakeholders including the British Council, Manchester City Council, sector lead Brighter Sound and more recently Youth Music and PRS Foundation.
About WOMEX (Worldwide Music Expo)
WOMEX is the most international music meeting in the world and the biggest conference of the global music scene, features a trade fair, talks, films and showcase concerts. Over 2,500 professionals (including 260 performing artists) come together (usually in a European City) every October from 90 countries. Its musical spectrum is unparalleled in the international showcase festival scene, ranging from the most traditional to the new global local underground, embracing folk, roots, local and diaspora cultures and urban and electronic sounds from all over the globe as well as all musical juxtapositions of these. WOMEX in 2021 will take place in Porto, Portugal, 27-31 October 2021.