- This event has passed.
Change is starting to happen around the roles, representation and recognition of women in music. But still only 17% of UK songwriters and composers registered with the PRS are women, only 15% of record labels are majority owned by women, and only 32% of employees across the industry are women.
Change the Record is your chance to take positive action around the existing gender imbalance, and affect permanent change around the perception, opportunities and profiling of women in music - from the classroom, to the boardroom, to the stage.
Designed to galvanise and inspire, this event will feature provocations, conversations and practical how-to sessions from leading music industry figures and innovators.
- Beth Orton, Both Sides Now ambassador
- Beverley Whitrick, Strategic Director, Music Venue Trust
- Carol Reid, Programme Director, Youth Music
- Chi-chi Nwanoku OBE, Founder, Artistic & Executive Director, Chineke!
- Claire Mera-Nelson, Director of Music, Arts Council England
- Debra King, Director, Brighter Sound
- Francesca Treadaway, Communications Manager at the Incorporated Society of Musicians (ISM)
- Ged Robinson, Head of Talent Development, GeneratorHolly Ross, Artist (The Lovely Eggs)
- Julia Payne, Chief Executive, the hub
- Kameil Sattar, Head of Digital, Proper Music Distribution
- Karen Gabay, BBC Radio presenter & Freelance TV producer
- Nabihah Iqbal, Artist
- Rebecca Gregson, Generator
- Remi Harris MBE, Music Industry Consultant
- Sam Hunt, Creative Director of Waltham Forest, London Borough of Culture 2019
- Victoria Johnson, Head of Digital, Marketing and Communication, Sound and Music
With an agenda shaped by over 90 voices from across the sector, we’ll explore topics such as women in leadership, talent and career progression and parenthood.
We need people of all genders, ages, backgrounds and experience to contribute. Whether you’re an artist, music organisation, educator, journalist, label, publisher, young person, promoter - or simply interested in the conversation - we want to hear from you.
Your thoughts will inform a brand new crowd-sourced ‘manifesto’ for gender equality in music which we’ll take to policy makers, people of influence and into the political sphere.
Change The Record is supported by Arts Council England, Generator and Sage Gateshead and is part of the Great Exhibition of the North.
Change the Record is part of Both Sides Now - our three-year programme to support, inspire and showcase women in music.