If you’re a musician interested in broadening your skills to help take your career to the next level, ‘Get Started with Music Business’ might be for you.
In February 2022 we’re partnering with The Prince’s Trust to deliver a free week of practical and inspiring music business workshops for young musicians who are not currently in training, education or employment.
Over a creative and jam-packed week you’ll develop your own unique business model to help you professionalise your work and gain more opportunities and employment in the music industry.
- Explore the different roles and career opportunities available, to complement your creative skills
- Take part in workshops and masterclasses led by industry experts including music managers, independent artists, financial health consultants and branding and image stylists
- Take part in a professional photoshoot, and gain support in creating your own artist identity
- Develop skills to help you better manage your finances as a freelance artist, and leave with top tips and advice to help you recognise healthy and fair contracts
- Have fun working together as a group to respond to practical and musical challenges
The week will be led by an inspirational artist team with specialist skills and experience working in music as professional artists and educators. Masterclasses will be delivered by a range of experts who work across the music industry.
At the end of the week you’ll have:
- Developed a support network of like-minded creatives
- Planned and presented your unique business model
- Taken part in a photoshoot and get a new professional headshot
- Developed your knowledge and awareness about careers in the music industry
- Developed your business skills including financial management and social media and press management
- Strengthened your employability skills – including team working, time management, leadership and project/event management
- Updated your artist profile and press kit
- Received one-to-one mentoring support to help you set your own goals
Who it’s for
To take part you should:
- Be a musician (of any genre) looking to develop your business skills
- Be aged 18-25
- Studying less than 14 hours per week or not currently in compulsory education
- Not currently in paid work of more than 16 hours per week
- Have a Greater Manchester postcode
Practical information and dates
Taster and induction session: Tuesday 15 February (1-4pm)
Project week: Monday 21-Friday 25 February (10am-4pm)
The course will take place in central Manchester, with some sessions in-person and some online.
The Prince’s Trust can provide electronic and computer equipment on loan for the duration of the project, which you can keep if you complete the course.
Find out more and sign up
To register your interest in this course, all you need to do is complete an online application form* by Sunday 30 January, 11pm. You can either apply in writing, or by submitting an audio or video file.
We’ll let you know if you have a place by Friday 4 February.
If you have any questions please contact Phill Howley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
*We’re committed to supporting and meeting the needs of people with learning difficulties or disabilities. If you have any specific access needs relating to completing the form, please let us know. Contact us at email@example.com or 0161 546 5334.