We’re delighted to announce Emergent Commission, a new commission opportunity in partnership with Drake Music as part of their wider artistic programme Emergent: A Music Legacy, funded by Help Musicians UK.
The aim of the programme is to support emerging disabled musicians to broaden their portfolio of work opportunities within the music sector, via training & commissions.
We’re seeking proposals from deaf and disabled musicians to work with, and musically respond to, the theme of “Music and the Environment”.
One paid commission will be awarded to the successful applicant. Applications can be of any genre and style but Assistive Music Technology must be included in some format.
The commission will also include support and mentoring by:
- a Drake Music Associate Musician
- the Brighter Sound team
- the wider Drake Music team (including technologists)
Through the partnership between Drake Music and Brighter Sound, the Emergent Commission will enable emerging deaf and disabled musicians to reach new audiences and share their work.
Emergent Commission Guidelines
The musician will be paid a commission fee of £750.
The Commission is open to:
- all types of musicians such as sound artists, singers, DJ’s, instrumentalists, technologists etc
- those to who self-identify as deaf or disabled musicians, performers or artists who use music or sound within their work and are at, or near, the beginning of their careers
- musicians based in the North West
- anyone aged 18 or over
The final commission will be:
- 3-5 minutes in length
- a creative response to the theme of “Music and the Environment“
- produced or created by using music technology (this can include anything and everything from apps, Garageband through to advanced music software)
The outline timeframe is as follows:
- deadline for proposals – 5pm, 30 October 2017
- winning commissions announced – 10 November 2017
- initial meeting for the musician to meet with Drake Music – mid/late November 2017
- mentoring and training for the musician – November/December 2017
- commission completed and submitted – February 2018
- sharing & performance of the commission from March 2018
Drake Music and Brighter Sound will be able to provide support and this will be discussed with the successful applicant.
How to apply
The commission panel will be looking to support emerging deaf and disabled musicians who have demonstrated a real desire to create new music or recognised potential.
If successful, you will be expected to submit a short evaluation report after the commission has been completed. You will also be expected to support sharing and promotion of your work.
Your proposal should be sent as either 500 words, or a 3 minute video clip and should include:
- a bit about yourself
- why you’re applying for this commission
- how you will respond to the theme of “Music and the Environment”
- what type or style of music you want to create
Please also include one example of any previous work.
If you require Drake Music to make any reasonable adjustments to the proposal process, please do get in touch to discuss. They are happy to make any reasonable adjustments as required.
The commission panel will comprise of Drake Music’s National Managers. The commissioning panel will shortlist the proposals before working with Brighter Sound to award the final commission.
Send Proposals to